Thursday, December 13, 2012

So Let's Revisit

the actual size of the "worldwide Traditional Anglican Communion" in light of the firsthand account from India that the TAC franchise there is essentially nonexistent, as well as his observation that any TAC membership numbers are unreliable. The actual numbers of the churches where membership is non-trivial goes, as far as I can tell, something like this: Canada, less than 500. Australia, 400. South Africa, while I haven't seen any official figure or estimate at all, I'm going to put at 400 to make it comparable to Australia and Canada. I had previously estimated US membership at 2300, based on what I'm increasingly seeing as very generous averages of 19 members per mission and 60 members per parish, when even such an important parish as St Aidan's Des Moines has only 25. To be a little more consistent with the best-available estimates for the other national franchises, I'm going to lower my estimate of US membership to 1500.

It seems to me that, especially with former TAC parishes in the UK going into the Ordinariate there, we can probably say that each of the other provinces, in places like India, the UK, other Asian and African countries, and Latin America, has membership totals that are simply trivial. This means that a realistic estimate of actual TAC worldwide membership would be in the range of 2500-3000. Wikipedia still cites a membership, "from the TAC itself", of 400,000. I would go so far as to say that this number passes from wild exaggeration to actual fraud. I would suggest that for Fr Smuts to pass himself off as a "priest" in such a tiny and corrupt denomination, implying from his blog content that he's somehow in the same league as Catholics or mainstream Anglicans, is also fraudulent. It seems to me that he's got to do more to separate himself not just from Hepworth (who seems to be merely a TAC scapegoat), but from Prakash, Marsh, Falk, Strawn, Morello, and the rest of the whole sleazy crew.

I challenge Fr Smuts to respond.