Monday, December 17, 2012

Christmas Digression

The station my car radio is normally set to plays The Jesus Christ Show when I'm driving to or from mass on Sundays, so I often listen. I keep listening for stuff to shake my head at, but so far, the program seems broadly based in its theology and basically intelligent. Yesterday, Neil Saavedra, the host, was talking about Santa Claus and arguing that, even though some variants of Christianity disapprove of Santa and other ostensibly pagan-originated aspects of Christmas, Santa is a type of Christ and a good vehicle for teaching children the meaning of Christmas.

This took me to the animated film The Polar Express, which my wife and I have on DVD and watch most years. Each time we see it, I see something more. Last year, it struck me that the Santa the children finally reach at the North Pole on Christmas Eve is anything but namby-pamby, and it's worth pointing out that when he appears, Frank Sinatra sings "You Better Watch Out", which is as good a substitute as any for an Advent carol. Beyond that, it also struck me this year that Santa's face is the face of an icon, but with a bushy white beard. Santa here is the Second Coming. It's all the more surprising in that the guy who wrote the book on which the film is based is a convert to Judaism.

This year it struck me as well that the various comical crises and emergencies that happen to the train on the way to the North Pole are a G-rated parallel to The Pilgrim's Progress. The film is sending a message that faith is a struggle. We need to get past the idea (Ms Gyapong and many others) that faith is something namby-pamby, something cutsie-pie, something to swoon over. I think the Enemy would prefer that we view frauds like the TAC and its bishops uncritically and not ask questions about such people.