Sunday, December 9, 2012

On The Matter of Comments

Several people have noted on various other blogs that I don't have comments enabled here. I had a blog dealing with writing for several years and had comments for part of that time. What I discovered from experience was that while there are some sincere commenters, most post as pseudonyms for a reason, and the reason usually isn't good. I decided that the added trouble of responding, moderating, fuming, or dealing with comments in whatever way, just wasn't worth it. I've made my e-mail available here, and knowledgeable people have sent me worthwhile information. If someone like Ms Gyapong feels I've left something out, all she needs to do is e-mail me, and I'll correct or add to anything I've said. On the other hand, someone who comments under a pseudonym and feels s/he can be abusive that way probably won't be as quick to do it from an e-mail address where his or her name is available, and this contributes greatly to my peace of mind. If bloggers feel it's worth their time and effort to host food fights on their own blogs, that's well and good -- I just don't feel it's the best stewardship of my time and energy.