Monday, March 18, 2013

Yesterday Evening, My Wife And I Attended

our Rite of Calling the Candidates to Continuing Conversion at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown Los Angeles, with Archbishop Jose Gomez presiding, assisted by three auxiliary bishops. I found this deeply affecting, for two main reasons. First, it was a procession and ceremony with real bishops in a real Church, not a bunch of guys with mail-order degrees playing dressup.

Second, the number of adult candidates for confirmation in just part of the Archiocese of Los Angeles (with their sponsors) very nearly filled the cathedral, which is not a small place. As I've said here before, numbers are important. It appeared to me that the crowd was well over 1,000, which would put it by itself as comparable to, or indeed larger than, the whole ACA. It was one more thing that convinced me that I'm no longer an Anglo-Catholic, if indeed I ever was one; I'm a Catholo-Catholic.

Archbishop Gomez's homily -- delivered bilingually, a few sentences of English, then repeating himself in a few sentences of Spanish -- reminded me that I've been on a journey of continuing conversion, certainly from the time I returned to the Church Universal as an adult, but especially over the past few years. It has been particularly instructive to see the corruption and disintegration of the "continuing Anglican" movement close at hand; my own view is that the challenges in the Catholic Church seem eminently surmountable in contrast.