Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Losing Momentum?

My regular correspondent comments regarding my last post,
It would be interesting to know Bp Lopes' frank opinion on the question you pose in your last sentence, coming as he does from a background where the Anglican Patrimony was unknown and Not Missed. He did make a very positive comment in the last Ordinariate Observer about a cupcake rosary made by the Sunday School at Incarnation, Orlando but I cannot regard that as reflecting any aspect of AP. I think he is just trying to make the best of an ill-conceived experiment, one which will neither draw in any significant number of converts nor serve as a template for further initiatives of this sort. And the idea that it cannot be allowed to fail is without foundation, I think. Naturally no one wants something which apparently had papal support to tank, but time passes and the boosters are replaced. The Legionaries of Christ were a favoured group not so long ago. Not that I am making any kind of specific comparison, just pointing put that it is possible even in the Vatican to admit that errors in judgement were made, and move on.
It's harder and harder for me to avoid the idea that Bp Lopes is a real Catholic and a real bishop. Does he have a mandate to fix it or shut it down?