Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Missed Opportunity -- VII

The other issue I raised earlier is simply whether the Ordinariate can keep its word. I've discussed the representations that Msgr William Stetson made to the parish in December 2011 and January 2012, on which the Ordinariate simply didn't follow through. My exposure to Msgr Stetson gives me the impression that he is a formidable individual, and I have no reason to think he is not a person of considerable integrity. However, his position is with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, not with the Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter, and I can't avoid thinking there is some daylight between Stetson, and by implication Archbishop José Gomez, and Houston.

Archbishop Gomez has made several clear expressions of public support for the parish, its elected vestry, and Fr Kelley, by including parish representatives in the annual Marian procession (especially significant in the City of the Queen of the Angels), and by being photographed with Fr Kelley and his senior warden, Dr Trimpi. However Houston may feel it is restricted from supporting Fr Kelley, the parish, or its elected vestry, it nevertheless has made no equivalent gesture -- and I would not characterize either Abp Gomez or Msgr Stetson as impulsive.

My understanding from those connected with the elected vestry is that Msgr Stetson has maintained regular contact, is well informed over all developments, and "doesn't ask stupid questions." My concern is whether equivalent communication takes place between the Archdiocese and Houston. For instance, I was told by a former Episcopal priest who maintains a connection with Andrew Bartus that Bartus's view is that no Ordinariate activity will take place in the Los Angeles area unless it is within Bartus's purview, and Bartus does not expect it to involve St Mary of the Angels.

It is generally recognized that Bartus is a made member of the Houston clique. It sounds to me as though Bartus perceives some difference between where he thinks things may be likely to go and where Msgr Stetson and Abp Gomez seem to wish things might proceed.

I believe it would be enormously helpful if the Ordinariate and the Archdiocese can find a way to put themselves on the same page. Certainly insofar as I'm a friend of the parish, I can't advocate much further progress toward its joining the Ordinariate until such clarification can be made.