Monday, March 23, 2015

Parishes Which Once Expressed A Wish To Join The US Ordinariate But Haven't

Getting back to the earlier question of what's up with the Ordinariate, my correspondent pointed me to this lengthy list from 2013 at Catholic Left. The group is very diverse, ranging from Our Lady of the Atonement San Antonio through St Mary's Hollywood to some very small groups that probably didn't last long enough to be considered. As a result, the list doesn't say anything specific, good or bad, about the US Ordinariate, except it's another indication of how expectations in 2011 are not reflected in the realities of 2015. According to my correspondent, only St Anselm of Canterbury, Corpus Christi TX, has since joined the Ordinariate from that group.

I do think there was some low-hanging fruit there that Houston should have been able to pick up. I know of one small mission that's comparable in size to groups that have been admitted, but my understanding is that Houston somehow never followed through, and it left those concerned rather unhappy -- but of course, that's one side of the story.

Another e-mail I got recently, though, suggests there may be other groups more actively in the pipeline but that, like St Mary of the Angels, are in a legal holding pattern. (However, as I've noted here, I'm not sure if Houston and the Archdiocese of Los Angeles are on the same page as to what any next steps might be, since the St Mary's situation seems to be edging toward resolution.) If this is the case for other parishes, I'd be most interested to hear about it.

UPDATE: My correspondent informs me that the group in Dennison, TX entered a few weeks ago, under the name St Michael and All Angels. It's good to hear that there's continued progress.