Monday, September 24, 2018

Expanding The Scope

Fringe fans know that in Season 5, a male-only race of technically enhanced humanoids from the future called the Observers invades 21st-century Earth, and the FBI's Fringe unit is deployed to keep the earthlings under control. Agent Broyles, the head of the unit, reports to a high-rankiinig Observer named Windmark. (For anyone familiar with Fringe who might want to know what Msgr William Stetson is like in person, I would suggest Windmark is kinda close.)

One of my favorite lines in the whole Fringe series is this one, at about 1:50 (the only clip I could find of this has Spanish subtitles):



Broyles asks Windmark, "What did you do, up there, in the future, to get yourself such a crap detail?" This is a question I keep wanting to ask Bp Lopes. Anglicanorum coetibus is a footnote at best, in a footnote papacy that will probably rank with that of Adrian VI for inconsequence. Implementing it has got to be a crap detail, and the whole story is starting to fade in importance as other issues confronting the Church take center stage.

I've given a lot of thought to how I might adjust the scope of this blog. I don't want to make radical changes, but clearly the story of St Mary of the Angels comes close to other issues, including the problem of same-sex attracted priests and bishops, heterodox and syncretistic innovations, petty careerism, and so forth. Without wanting to tie myself down too closely to a specific subject area, I'm now going to start to address more of these, from a perspective of personal experience and using writing and research skills I've developed as part of this project.

While Anglicanorum coetibus is a crap detail, I'll continue to cover it as groups form and dissolve, as other priests beat their wives or whatever else, as ordinaries come and go, or at least until the CDF decides that other issues facing the Church are much better uses for its resources.

As it happens, a new subject presented itself to me just this past weekend while I was on retreat, and I'm in the process of developing a post on it, so stay tuned.