Saturday, September 1, 2018

A Few Thoughts On The Lopes Homily

It dawned on me early this morning why the story on Lopes's homily appeared in the Catholic Herald and nowhere else: Lopes had his press person send it to all the usual outlets like the Register, but only the Herald, nearly two weeks later, ran it, probably because of the pre-holiday news drought. Says something about where Lopes stands.

But what we've learned is that Lopes has access to a press flack for his own career advancement, but not for the OCSP. He'll try to publicize some remarks in a homily that'll make him look like a good guy (but not one who goes overboard), but so far, no pastoral words of encouragement to his flock.

Contrast this with the Bishop of Charleston, SC. In a letter to the nuncio:

Dear Archbishop Pierre,

Our Church is in crisis and as the leader of the Catholic faithful in the State of South Carolina, I write with urgency to express my sentiments and echo those of the people in my care. We feel betrayed, angry and misled.

Bp Lopes is going to dump the OCSP as soon as it suits him. And his boss is the guy who fuzzed up the Catechism on capital punishment on Francis's orders.

I'm more and more convinced Lopes isn't one of the good guys, but I'm willing to wait.

UPDATE: My regular correspondent has discovered that the homily, if it was delivered on August 19, must have been given in Bath or Scranton, PA. I would guess that the fact that it had been recorded and posted came as a surprise to Bp Lopes, who then decided to have his flack inform the world of his great courage.