Monday, December 23, 2019

Another Former Our Lady Of The Atonement Parishioner Weighs In

In this morning's e-mail:
As a young Episcopalian during the Gene Robinson fiasco, I would frequently visit OLA masses and evensongs. My Episcopal parish was perhaps a mile from OLA. This was when I began to research and eventually affirm the Catholic faith, ultimately deciding to join the Church. I approached Fr. Phillips about it. We sat in a few and I briefly told him my story. I could tell there was absolutely no interest whatsoever. I shrugged it off and waited for him to come back from the sacristy with what I assumed would be RCIA info to get me started. He ushered me to OLA's (quite beautiful) Lady chapel where I knelt on a kneeler and signed a "Solemn Declaration of Faith" pledging fidelity to the Pope, the Magesterium etc as soon as I was done he took the paper walked off and viola! I was a Catholic...sigh. In ignorance I went along with the "English Country Cathedral" fairytale for awhile, moved on, and got properly taught. Nothing too shocking, but in hindsight a clear indicator that things were done quite different at OLA.

Two things I have not seen mentioned on your blog has been Dn. Michael D'Agostino and Fr. Jeffrey Moore, were they transferred to Houston as well? I have NEVER seen Fr. Moore celebrate Mass, or do anything but confessions.

I wish I could describe in words the morose and strange feeling when one is there. I have not been there in a couple of years, so perhaps the new priest has brought a glimmer of light and hope.

I've mentioned before that traffic on this blog is at record levels, and interest in the situation at Our Lady of the Atonement has been a major factor since early 2017. One thing that puzzles me is why mainstream media religion reporters, either in San Antonio or elsewhere, haven't picked the story up -- but I suppose it would take real time and effort to get into the full story, and it wouldn't fit anyone's pre-formed clichés.

So throughout this story, I've kept seeing Fr Moore as on staff, but not a peep otherwise. What's up there?