Wednesday, June 14, 2017

A Series On Venues

My regular correspondent is starting to send me photos he's found on Facebook, parish web sites, and so forth, of OCSP venues. The main reason from my standpoint is to indicate their relative size to give an indication of overall population in the OCSP, but there may be an additional interest in comparing them to what diocesan Catholics can expect to find, especially if they have some enterprise and curiosity.

As a matter of interest, and by way of initial comparison, here's the nave of St Patrick's Catholic Church, Chatham, NJ. I note this only because I watched an episode of the true crime show Murder Calls last night, which dealt with the 2009 stabbing death of its pastor, Fr Edward Hinds. The show used the interior of a different church, somewhat nicer than this one, but I'd say this is nothing unusual for a medium-size diocesan parish.

My family lived in Chatham from 1957 to 1963, and I went to elementary and middle school in the city schools. I never set foot in St Patrick's; my parents probably wouldn't have been happy if I had. It's something of an indication of what I missed.