Thursday, January 26, 2017

Counterproductive?

Mr Wilson, in his letter to the OLA parishioners and others, says (emphasis his):
Any individual action such as writing to the archbishop or demonstrating at the chancery could be counter-productive. Please use common sense. Many parishioners have expressed their desire to send letters to various dicasteries of the Holy See and I fully support their right to do so. Abusive or intemperate letters would, of course, do great harm.
Yet the same Mr Wilson effectively endorses Fr Hunwicke's intemperate rant here. Other OLA members appear to be joining in the comment section as well. Some commenters call Abp Garcia-Siller a "Peronist" and accuse him of blasphemy. Note that Fr Hunwicke moderates comments and has approved these and others.

My regular correspondent says,

Whatever the merit or otherwise of Abp Garcia's latest move I certainly agree that the response is not how things are done in the Catholic church and exposes the lack of assimilation of Catholic diocesan values on the part of those in opposition. Looking at many of the websites reporting on the situation I see that they are hotbeds of traditionalist, "more Catholic than the Pope" thinking, exactly the approach that led to "continuing" Anglicanism and its endless fracturing.
My correspondent also pointed me to Fr Stainbrook's Facebook page (I don't do Facebook and can't link to it), wherein Fr Stainbrook originally linked to or reprinted the somewhat inflammatory report by Church Militant on the case, but today the link has been deleted -- my correspondent speculates with some good reason that it was probably at Houston's instruction.

This sort of thing is damaging Houston's case, whether or not it has merit. I assume Fr Hunwicke is beyond Msgr Newton's control, although if I were his ordinary, this could become an issue. If Fr Hunwicke feels he can get away with this sort of thing and approve abusive comments on his site, no wonder he sympathizes with OLA.