Friday, January 29, 2016

Beer Breakfast!

If you happen to find yourself at loose ends in Irvine, CA early on February 6, the Animal House "League of Ordinary Gentlemen" at the Bl John Henry Newman group will be holding a beer breakfast at 7 AM at the Olde Ship.

Thanks to a regular visitor for bringing this to my attention. I don't know if these guys have wives or families, but if they do, I don't know how many wives will appreciate having husbands and fathers come unsteadily home at 11 AM or so and, at best, find them useless for the rest of the day.

I quote from Fr Ken Wolfe's e-mail to me from last July 13:

The Ordinariate has policies on the use of alcoholic beverages in communities such as Blessed John Henry Newman. If there is a serious concern about whether actions are in compliance with our policy on the use of alcoholic beverages on parish properties, a person who has first-hand experience should bring the facts to the attention of the Ordinary or Vicar General.
I don't know what the policies are -- if anyone knows, I'd like to hear them -- but it sounds as if Fr Wolfe has carefully worded his statements to discourage anyone who doesn't actually attend this beer breakfast from bringing it to anyone's attention. But if they party at the breakfast, I assume they're OK with it and won't report it.

I can't imagine that a 7 AM beer breakfast at a pub, clearly identified as a church-sponsored activity, would be in accordance with alcohol use policies in any denomination.

Indeed, Catholic acts of contrition frequently include a resolve to "avoid the near occasions of sin". It's very hard for me to imagine that a beer breakfast is anything but a near occasion of sin.