Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Something Just Reminded Me Of The Parable Of The Unjust Steward

Luke 16:1-13:
There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward. Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed. I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses. So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord? And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty. Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
As I've been saying here in the past week, we really don't know what Owen Williams and the ACA House of Bishops are up to, except that insofar as Williams is no longer listed as either a suffragan in the Diocese of the Northeast or episcopal visitor to the Diocese of the West, we must assume something's up, and we can probably surmise that Williams has somehow gotten crosswise with Marsh and Strawn.

And my own view, judging from the ACA's non-response to potentially explosive allegations against a diocesan bishop, is that even if Williams were keeping a stable of six-year-old boy sex slaves, it wouldn't bother his brother bishops overmuch. To get crosswise with this bunch, it would have to be really bad. Really, really bad. But crosswise he appears to be.

Someone just this morning mentioned reports that a local parish in another "continuing" denomination is sending laypeople over to St Mary of the Angels to "help out". Hmm. Could Williams, apparently crosswise with the ACA, be putting out feelers to another denomination? Maybe making little suggestions he could come over and bring "his" parish with him? Jurisdiction-hopping isn't at all unusual in the "continuum".

And as far as Marsh and Strawn are concerned, that would be bad. Not saying that's what's happening, of course. But that would be really, really bad.

If I were Marsh, Strawn, Vaughan, and Hiles, I wouldn't trust Williams one inch. If I were Williams, I wouldn't trust Marsh, Strawn, Vaughan, and Hiles any farther.