Friday, February 13, 2015

I Think I've Found Douglas Bess,

author of Divided We Stand, an extremely valuable, if incomplete, history of "continuing Anglicanism". He now appears to be Fr Douglas Bess, a priest in something called the Liberal Catholic Church. I tried e-mailing Bess at his contact, but he hasn't replied. (I assume that if this were a different Fr Bess, he'd simply reply, "Mr Bruce, I'm sorry, but I'm not the author of Divided We Stand. Wish I could be of more help", or something like that.)

UPDATE: Yes, this is the same Douglas Bess.

One of the key questions I'd want to ask would be whether he knew of Louis Falk's deposition as an Episcopal priest in 1966 due to a scandal at the Rhinelander, WI parish where he was rector. It seems to me that this colors Falk's willingness to tolerate more-than-routine misconduct by bishops in the ACC, and following the split, the ACA as well. Bess outlines some of the allegations against ACC bishops, but I'd want to see how much he knew of other misconduct among Falk's other protégés before and after the ACC-ACA split.

I'd also be interested to know if Bess had been following further developments in the "continuum" after the period his book covers. Alas, this probably won't happen. However, I'll venture the guess that since it's likely the ACA won't outlast the St Mary of the Angels cases, the history of this strange aberration is drawing to a close overall.