Monday, April 1, 2013

Here's A Question

My wife and I were chatting with our sponsors following our reception into the Catholic Church yesterday. I was reflecting on my upbringing as a Presbyterian and mentioned that in 2008, I returned to visit the Presbyterian parish I'd attended as a child. They'd since hired a lady associate, and during the communion service that Sunday, she brandished a baguette, although as usual, the actual bread consumed was little cubes of bakery slices.

Then it dawned on me that the Presbyterian Church USA, a denomination numbering over 2,000,000 as of last year and thus roughly twice the size of The Episcopal Church, not only began ordaining women in the late 20th century, but revised its book of common worship five times (!) in the 20th century, without provoking the schisms and general craziness that afflicted the Episcopalians. I note that a new Presbyterian breakaway body corresponding to the ACNA has recently emerged, but that's a response to the ordination of explicitly gay clergy, not the ordination of women or revisions of the prayer book, which was what is most commonly credited with causing the "continuum".

Now, that's peculiar. There's apparently something unique about Episcopalians here. But come to think of it, why wasn't there an Episcopalian revolt over the 1892 Book of Common Prayer, or indeed, why wasn't there a revolt when the 1928 BCP superseded the 1892 BCP?

Inquiring minds want to know!