Saturday, November 10, 2018

Rome Symposium On Anglicanorum Coetibus Canceled?

In July of this year, it was announced that on November 4-8, 2019 the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith will hold a symposium in Rome to mark the 10th Anniversary of Anglicanorum coetibus. The chief dilettante and bottlewasher at the Anglicanorum Coetibus Society, Mrs Gyapong, had clearly been anticipating this as a validating event for herself and her organization; at the time, she posted
I will be traveling to Rome this October to meet with the organizer of the symposium to see what the Anglicanorum coetibus Society might be able to sponsor in conjunction with this event. We could sponsor a social event, a lecture, special music.

Who among my readers is likely to come to Rome in Nov. 2019? What would you like the Society to sponsor?

I've got to say I can think of many, many better uses for trip-to-Europe money. However, it appears that the CDF has canceled this event, so nobody will have this tough choice to make. In recent days, the Society's blog carried an announcement of the cancellation, but then my regular correponent reported,
Mrs Gyapong has pulled both the announcement of the cancellation of the symposium and the original AC blog post (October 30) regarding her meeting in Rome last month with the CDF priest organising the symposium. I note that an AC Society conference in Houston scheduled for September 2017 was also cancelled. Surely not for lack of interest or substance?
This suggests the post I linked here from July may be a short-timer now as well.

As I've said, I don't think Anglicanorum coetibus is a thing any longer, and whether or not Francis is in favor isn't really a factor.