Wednesday, October 3, 2018

More On "New Age" Catholicism

I haven't heard yet from Fr Moons, the Passionist provincial to whom I wrote last week. I'm not especially optimistic, but I'll report on anything I receive. However, unless I hear a pretty specific disavowal of "centering prayer" at the Mater Dolorosa retreat center, I won't attend any further retreats there, and I've made our parish representatives aware of that.

I did run into a very specific YouTube video on the inroads of "new age" into Catholicism, by Susan Brinkmann, a secular member of the Third Order of Discalced Carmelites.

What I really like about her is her no-nonsense middle Atlantic accent. In the second half of her talk, she discusses Transcendental Meditation in explicit detail, with particular reference to "centering prayer". She points out, as I did with Dcn Valencia, that this is in conflict with CCC 2726.

I've mentioned this here several times, but I think it's even more applicable to the current context, a two-part presentation on "new age" by Dr David Campbell. Part I:

Part 2:


This is very rigorous and academically respectable. I wish I'd heard material this good as an undergraduate.