Tuesday, March 5, 2013

While I Appreciate The Clarification

that I ran yesterday from APA Bishop Shaver, it's been pointed out to me that he said
Bishop Strawn released him [now-Bishop Giffin] as a priest in good standing to the APA, and any information to the contrary is simply not true.
when the chronology that I ran on February 27 indicates that Giffin and his parish went from the ACA to the Antiochian Church, not directly into the APA, and there were apparently several transformations over 2009 into 2010 before the parish finally wound up in the APA. An informant suggests to me that Bishop Shaver and I may both be right, and if Bishop Strawn, known here for a hair-trigger in disciplinary matters, caused some contention over Giffin's earlier departure to the Antiochan Church, this does not rule out a subsequent change of heart based on remonstrances from the likes of Marsh or Grundorf. Bishop Shaver's version of the transition may be a simple inadvertency, but when dealing with the "continuum", I think we all need to be aware of the very real potential for weasel-wording. If Bishop Shaver wants to clarify his statement further, one way or another, I'll publish that as well.

It's also been suggested that "the vestry made him do it" doesn't necessarily fly as an explanation, again especially in the context of the "continuum", which since even before St Louis has been characterized by jurisdiction hopping, sudden reversals, purges, ego-tripping, mergers-followed-by-further-schism, and so forth. Much of Bishop Shaver's explanation boils down to "hey, this is the Continuum, what'd ya expect, guy?" which it seems to me makes my point. If Joe Schmo rises to the rank of Grand Kleagle in the Exalted Society of Cutpurses, it avails little to point out that Joe is a cutpurse. By the same token if Bishop Giffin rises to that exalted rank from among the roiling population of vicars general, canons, archdeacons, and the like in the tiny, screwball "continuum", it makes just about as much sense to complain that, well, that's exactly what he's done.

UPDATE: Bishop Shaver replies:

Dear John,

Bishop Giffin (then Fr. Giffin) was never under discipline, suspension, inhibition, or any other term by the ACA at any time. Again, thank you for seeking clarification.
--


+Larry L. Shaver
Bishop Ordinary
Diocese of Mid-America, APA

He then replies further,
Dear John,

Given that allegations such as these are very serious because they have been published, and you have been duly notified that they are in no way true (twice), I must tell you that the person or persons making such allegations are opening themselves up to legal action.

--

+Larry L. Shaver
Bishop Ordinary
Diocese of Mid-America, APA

I'm not entirely sure which allegations Bishop Shaver means. I certainly repeat what I said above, that the so-called "Anglican continuum", of which the APA and the ACA are normally regarded as major denominations, has been characterized by jurisdiction hopping, sudden reversals, purges, ego-tripping, mergers-followed-by-further-schism, and so forth. I think I may have forgotten to mention litigiousness in that list. For the time being, I will accept the assertions of Bishop Shaver regarding any discipline on Bishop Giffin in the short time when he was a priest in the ACA.