Sunday, August 13, 2017

An Old Post Revisited

Yesterday I had an e-mail from Ms Rayn Random, author of Cocktail Party Priest, which I discussed in a few 2013 posts, mainly this one. The book covers her experience with a Monterey, CA TEC priest who spread stories in her home parish alleging that she was a transgendered male with fake breasts who was stalking him.

It reminded me of the parish psychodrama surrounding St Mary of the Angels -- nuttiness that certainly continues. Researching Ms Random's story, I found that a parishioner at her parish was "Bishop" Owen Rhys Williams's mother, so there's something a little closer to home in the story as well. Mrs Williams was a supporter of the crazy priest, apparently because her son's one.

Ms Random said,

As I was searching through Google, I came across your blog on St. Mary's Hollywood (2013) and your comments regarding my book Cocktail Party Priest, and William Martin. It was fascinating reading for me, as you addressed the question of "why," and gave the most likely of all the explanations that other people have put forward.

Parishioners often asked me if Martin was gay. The two gay men to whom I dedicated Cocktail, claimed that he was. I was quite certain that he was either gay or sexually confused I say sexually confused because of a conversation we had in our first meeting when he invited me to dinner. I was surprised at the turn the conversation took and how almost confessional it was. He also told me that he knew several gay priests who were married to unsuspecting straight women. I later met two of them. That brings me to my reason for writing--other than to thank you for your very interesting and plausible answer to "why."

I have a novel, written over the last several years, that is now ready for publication. I've taken Martin's comment about gay, but married to unsuspecting women, priests and extended the possibilities. The protagonist is a gay, recently ordained priest with ambition to become the youngest bishop in the Episcopal Church. Of course, being gay would no longer be a problem, but a very wealthy, very anti-gay Catholic grandmother would be, when he is her principal heir. He marries for career reasons, much to his regret, and the lies. blackmail, and cover-ups to keep his secret eventually lead to a homeless man found dead in the church courtyard, and he is suspected.

At the same time that book is published, I want to re-issue Cocktail Party Priest with an updated Epilogue. With your permission, I would love to include––with full credit––your comments and remarkable answer to the question, "why?" I think you've nailed it!

Naturally I gave my permission and wish her the best.

Maybe I can rent myself out as an expert witness on Anglican craziness, if people like Ms Random find my insights worthwhile!