Friday, March 3, 2017

San Antonio Context

A former Episcopalian visitor who recently relocated to San Antonio writes,
Once I arrived I found the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Little Flower and knew I was in the right place. I highly valued the RCIA program I went through. The liturgy is wonderful without being stuffy. I'm happy being just a regular Catholic!

My decision to not go to Atonement was in part because of where I was located when I moved here, but also the elitist feel. I know there are some nice people there, but it never felt right when I'd visit. I've attended mass there several times since I came into the Church, but now the issue is that the liturgy IS different from what I'm used to. And I don't want to have to explain to people that I go to some "special" parish. It was exhausting to do that as an Episcopalian.

By and large your average parish liturgy in the archdiocese of San Antonio can leave a lot to be desired if you're more comfortable with high church worship. But there are some good places if you look for it. St Joseph's downtown, St Anthony Mary Claret on the far west side, and of course the Basilica. . . .

Ps. According to the archdiocese's figures from 2015, OLA had 750 families. My parish has 2700+, and about 8-10 parishes have 4000+ families. I think the largest is St Matthew's on Wurzbach which is over 5000. And all this stuff going on is definitely about the $$$$$

Both the visitor and I are former Episcopalians who clearly aren't repelled by the Ordinary Form mass and appreciate a reverent and straightforward celebration that isn't stuffy. I've heard from a core of visitors who feel this way, although one points out that at least OLA isn't as stuffy and exclusive as OLW.

Again, I think the Anglican market is perfectly happy with Howard Johnson's. It's unlikely to visit McDonald's unless compelled -- but Le Pavillon isn't to its taste, either. In my view, the OCSP is the creature of clergy who want to run Le Pavillon. I think this is a misunderstanding of US demographics -- the elites (the senior Bushes, for instance) who may still be Episcopalians publicly support Planned Parenthood and will never convert but are dying off. The younger elites no longer value any membership in that particular stuffy club.