Saturday, October 15, 2016

A Tangentially Interesting Video

I ran into a roughly 1-hour presentation by Dr David Campbell, a former Presbyterian pastor who became Catholic (and in doing so apparently gave up a prestigious clerical post to become a schoolteacher).

He makes no mention of Angicanorum coetibus, but he speaks persuasively about "unchurched spirituality", a much wider source of error than heterodox Anglicanism. This hit home with me in particular because it pointed out how much of my elite-school education (in which required readings certainly included Emerson and William James but never Aquinas) built on my poorly catechized childhood.

This convinces me in turn that Anglicanism isn't going to bring a whole lot to the table in equipping the Catholic faith for what it is likely to encounter in coming decades, but an understanding of what Dr Campbell is discussing certainly will.