Saturday, February 20, 2016

Bp Lopes, Let's Get Real

A visitor reports that Houston is launching a $200,000 appeal next weekend to support the Chancery operation and the episcopal travel budget. He added, "I guess a look at the books was a bit discouraging for Bp Lopes."

When I prepared the 2012 annual budget for St Mary of the Angels, assuming at the time it would be received into the Ordinariate in early 2012, I provided for a 10% diocesan tithe, which would have amounted to $34,000 per year based on 2011 income, or $136,000 for the four-year period since early 2012.

In addition, my wife and I generously support the parishes of which we've been members and their diocesan mission funds, and I'm sure other St Mary's parishioners would have stepped up to the plate as well. It's a prosperous parish in a prosperous community. I can only suggest to you that this is one more data point that might lead you to recognize that the prior Ordinary badly bungled at least one important job, and it might be in your interest to investigate how this serious error might be corrected.

Or maybe your fundraising is doing OK. In that case, sorry to bother you.