Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Text And Rubrics For The Ordinariate Rite Mass,

although approved for use and supplanting both rites in the 2003 Book of Divine Worship, haven't been published.
The full text of the Order of Mass will not to be made [sic] public online until the groups have got accustomed to celebrating it and the Missal has been published (hopefully some time in 2015).
The "hopefully" is something we've gotten used to from Houston, as by now it's understood that things there are done neither expeditiously nor well.

The problem is that the occasional defenses of the rite we've seen in comments at Ordinariate News and elsewhere say that, in reality, the rite provides a great deal of flexibility. But if we still won't see the rubrics for some time to come, we won't know for sure. An anonymous correspondent, though, has very kindly sent me a link to a bulletin-missalette-order-of-service for this past Trinity Sunday at St John the Evangelist, Calgary, AB. Without a published set of rubrics for reference, I simply can't tell what options, where these exist, are being exercised in this service, and exactly how this might relate to the time needed to conduct it.

However, as an attendee at Anglo-Catholic masses at two parishes in Los Angeles, I find this bulletin very familiar in both style and content. I would say that the service in Calgary covers the whole nine yards (another expression might be b*lls to the wall) of the most formal Anglo-Catholic practice. Among other things, I've found that, based on my experience with this type of highly complex liturgy, a normal prayer book style breviary is almost impossible to use -- to save the need to juggle books and hymnals around, you must have this type of missal for all but the most accustomed regular parishioners. This alone is an expense. Calgary, from the evidence I see, publishes a version of this missalette, 36 pages, each week. My previous Episcopal parish, St Thomas the Apostle Hollywood, issued a very similar booklet with the admonition to take it home, keep it or recycle it, because it was out of date by the Monday.

I would also say that the mass as prescribed in the missalette contains asperges, the Summary of the Law, all the prayers, the comfortable words, every verse of every hymn, the Prayer of Humble Access, the Prayer of Thanksgiving, the Last Gospel, and the Angelus. I don't see a threefold "Lord, I am not worthy", so this may be a legitimate option. (UPDATE: My correspondent says it's there; I missed it!) But at St Mary of the Angels, which used all these, a high mass with two dozen or so communicants took at least two hours, unless the announcements were copious and/or the homilist got a bee in his bonnet, in which case all bets were off. My correspondent suggests 90 minutes could be possible, but I haven't seen it, and my wife notes that Fr Kelley actually moved things along.

When I noted to my correspondent that this was not a thing to bring kids to, he suggested that among Anglo-Catholics, kids are unusual. "So many men -- so few fathers!" observed Fr Davies at St Thomas Hollywood one Father's Day. The fact that so many communicants may be beyond childbearing, or possibly indisposed to it, strikes me as a structural problem underlying the Ordinariate's mission, and perhaps something that hadn't been fully addressed in establishing the Apostolic constitution in the first place.