Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Case For Friends Of The Ordinariate

Prof Andrew Jordan of the University of Rochester appears to be the lay driving force behind the Fellowship of St. Alban Ordinariate group in Rochester, NY. Since I've begun to learn more about the individual Ordinariate parishes and missions, I've visited the group's web site and come away impressed. The group is currently working to find a new pastor.

Prof Jordan responded to my posts on group finances with the following:

hi Mr. Bruce, I noticed your series of posts on finances for the Ordinariate groups. Thanks for your concern! We accept checks to assist our mission. They may be made out to

The fellowship of St. Alban Ordinariate group

and mailed to me:
Andrew Jordan
91 Westerloe Ave.
Rochester, NY
14620

I would be happy to forward it on to our treasurer.

We do have donors that are not local - we would be happy to remember you at the mass as a benefactor.

Best wishes,
Andrew

Three things strike me here. One is that the Fellowship of St Alban is ahead of the game in matters like incorporation, a checking account, and a treasurer, although up to now, this appears to be all the same to Houston. Another is the presence of a strong lay leader in the group. A third is that the strong lay leader isn't bashful about soliciting donations.

This is all to the good. On balance, I would discuss a fairly nominal donation with my wife and send it along -- but that really isn't an answer, is it? OK, we support our Latin parish, we support Augustinian and other charities, but why send a check to Rochester, NY out of the blue? Wouldn't it be a better idea to support a larger number of Ordinariate causes in a more systematic way?

Why no Friends of the Ordinariate? These already exist in the UK and Australia. Why no strong lay figure in the US and Canadian Ordinariate who could promote something like that?

Clearly there are donations being made, apparently sometimes substantial, to individual Ordinariate clergy in the form of personal property (ethically questionable), or in the form of multimillion-dollar pet projects like the Houston Chancery --- but both of these seem more to glorify individuals than further the cause of Anglicanorum coetibus.

I'm not sure, in fact, if Houston would be entirely comfortable with the idea of a strong lay figure or figures. But I wish Prof Jordan and his group the best, I will talk with my wife, and I hope others will think about how best to further the cause as well.